New age in gaming consoles

Roderick Mckenzie, Staff Writer

The Nintendo Switch is a portable game system that was hinted at in March 2015 by Satoru Iwata, before he passed away in that same summer. It was called the Nintendo NX at the time, but people did not know anything about the new console. It was officially announced on October 20, 2016, but people were originally not that excited about the launch.

They were disappointed and thought it was going to have terrible sales, similar to the Wii U. However, the tide quickly changed upon its official reveal in January 2017. People hopped on the bandwagon quickly for the Nintendo Switch when more games were revealed, such as The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim, Fire Emblem Warriors, The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild, and Super Mario Odyssey.

The Nintendo Switch is a 6.2-inch multi-touch display with 720p resolution that is similar to a tablet, with two Joy-Con controllers on the side. The user can put the Joy-Con controllers on the tablet to play it like the Wii U gamepad, or they can take them off in order for friends to play it as well.

If the user takes off the Joy-Con controllers and put the Nintendo Switch in a docking station, they can play it like a regular console with 60 frames per second and 1920 x 1280 resolution. The battery can last for more than six hours, however the more demanding the game is, the less time the battery lasts. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild playing on the Switch would only last three hours on its battery compared to a simpler game with six hours.

There is a very good selection of games coming to the Switch. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild will be out on March 3rd, 2017, the same day the Switch comes out. The game looks gorgeous and the gameplay looks really nice. The gameplay trailers impressed video game fans, making it a game that many are looking forward to playing.

Another game that is coming out for the switch is Mario Kart 8 Deluxe which is a port of Mario Kart 8 for the Wii U. However, it adds a couple of new characters, new stages, and new modes. The additional characters will be characters from another hit Nintendo game, Splatoon. Classic Mario characters, such as King Boo, Dry Bones, and Bowser Jr., will also be returning. Modes will include Balloon Battles and Bob-omb Blast. Another added feature is that players can now hold two items at once.

There will be additional games coming down the pipe for gamers to look forward to, such as The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim and Ultra Street Fighter II.

The exciting news for fans of celebrated video game developer/director Goichi “Suda51.” Suda is that a new No More Heroes game is being developed for the Switch, with “Suda51” working on it himself.

The release date has yet to be announced, but anticipation is already building with Suda’s fans. While still early, it seems as though the Nintendo Switch may just be able to invigorate the decades-old video game market.

Even with the new Zelda and Mario Kart coming out, there is still a very small amount of games that are out at launch. Third party support seems thin, as most of the games that will be supported on the Switch are Nintendo games.

With the console slated to come out in March, it has many gamers around the world buzzing with excitement as almost everywhere all copies of the Switch are sold out.

“I think the Nintendo Switch will be awesome. With the ability to play on the go and with friends, it could be loads of fun,” said Elikya Lafourtune, senior.

The biggest issue with the Switch is the prices: The starting price of the Switch is $300, but accessories and extra controllers can be from anywhere between $30 to $90. Just one Joy‑Con controller is $50.
The Switch brings a new and exciting change to the static business of consoles. Nintendo has taken risk with this gaming system, especially after the failure it had with the Wii U but has once again managed to mix up the gaming experience like they did after the Wii.