Celebrating 30 years of Paladin Society

Roderick McKenzie, Staff Writer

Swords, armor, history, art, fighting, costumes, and reenactments. These are a few words that come to mind when describing South Plantation High’s most unique club: Paladin Society. this historical reenactment group is celebrating 30 years attending Renaissance festivals around the state.
It all began in 1983 when retired biology teacher, Rick Friedman, created the Ancient Medicine Apothecary Club. Four years later, he decided to put the clubs’ skills to use. This would lead to the creation of Paladin Society. Since then, Paladin Society has grown to include about 30 members each year, with many of those returning each year
The club represents loyalty, dedication, and bonds with friends as they create their own medieval personas at fairs and reenact life as it was back then. Club members can create or buy their own garb for the fair, however certain colors like purple and red are unavailable due to what those colors represented in medieval times or the club’s ranking system.
When starting off in the club, students begin as a serf then rise up in rank as they attend meetings and do certain tasks.The ranks are different depending if you are male or female. If the member is male, then they try to earn the rank of a Knight; getting Page and Squire on the way. If the member is female, they try for the rank of a Lady; getting Maiden and Lady-in-waiting. Once the member reaches the rank of Knight or Lady, he or she is then expected to take an apprentice to train under them.
A Renaissance fair is like entering the time period back then. It recreates the time that kings and nobles will hold festivals and trade foreign goods. In modern times, people usually go there to be jolly, happy, and enjoying the festivities. At the fair, there are many different booths or encampments. These include: food, clothing, weapons, games, and specially, for Paladin’s Society, through education; the only education group at the South Florida Renaissance Festival.
To learn more about Paladin Society, contact Nick Duarte, Advisor, or attend one of their meetings, which are held every Wednesday in room 504.