Game of Thrones: Winter is here

Dimithry Victor, Artist, Staff Writer

Fire, Dragons, War; these are the words fans have used to describe the new season of Game of Thrones. Fans of the series have been on a long and exhilarating ride since the epic show first aired in 2011. From action-packed fight scenes to astonishing plot twists, this season was nothing short of surprises. Season seven included seven episodes, all of which were better than the last.
“I wish they didn’t stop at only 7 episodes” said Frank Monterrosa, senior and GOT fan.
This season primarily follows Jon Snow as tensions rise between main characters while they prepare to fight the greater threat: The Night King. The long-awaited season opened with a suspenseful scene in which Arya Stark, played by Maisie Williams, poisons every member of House Frey while disguised as their leader, Lord Walder Frey. This shocker would become one of many this season.
“My absolute favorite scene had to be when Olenna Tyrell admitted to poisoning Joffery,” said William Gruskzewski, math teacher and avid GOT fan, who said ”I screamed while watching it.”
“Shocking” would be the perfect word to describe this season, as it included major events such as Daenerys and Jon Snow’s budding relationship, Jaime Lannister leaving Cersei Lannister, and the Wall collapsing. However, fans seem to be most upset and excited about the death and resurrection of Daenerys’s dragon, Viserion, this season.
“When [The Night King] brought the dragon back to life I was so upset,” said Marielle Charran, senior.
This drastic change completely shifted the direction of the show, leaving Daenerys without a dragon and making Winterfell vulnerable against the army of the dead.
This season also showed Jaime Lannister’s realization that his sister, Cersei Lannister, is becoming mad with power. This came as a surprise because Jaime and Cersei have stayed with each other throughout the entirety of the show until now.
“My favorite part of the season was when Dany rode Drogons, and her army of Dothraki followed her to attack the Lannisters,” said Gaby Rodriguez, senior.
With the Lannisters now completely separated, Jon Snow officially being a Targaryen, and the destruction of the Ice Wall, nothing is certain.
“I was really excited for this season,” said Rodriguez, senior. “Hopefully they do [the show] justice with such few episodes they have left for season 8 next year.”
To sum it up, Season 7 of Game of Thrones was a spectacular display of fantasy on the small screen, and if you haven’t started watching it, you are missing out on an amazing show.