JROTC rewarded $25,000 grant

Back to Article
Back to Article

JROTC rewarded $25,000 grant

Angelique Culver, Staff Writer

In late October, the South Plantation High School’s JROTC program was awarded a $25,000 grant for their marksmanship team from the National Rifle Association. Every year, many high school marksmanship teams submit an application to receive this grant, then the NRA reviews the team’s scores from their last competition. The NRA then chooses a team to receive the grant which will be used to purchase new shooting equipment for competitions.
“I’m really happy about the grant,” said marksmanship team captain Jean-Luc Quartermain. “We are thankful that we will be able to buy new equipment that will motivate us to improve.”
Quartermain, a senior, has been involved in South’s JROTC and marksmanship team all four years of high school. He will f

inish off his years in JROTC on a high note as the grant will allow the team to improve and grow like never before.
The grant will be used to purchase new pellet rifles, scopes, and stands for the rifles and mats. The team will continue to practice for their upcoming competitions.
First Sergeant Rodriguez is very proud of his marksmanship team and all their hard work this year. South’s JROTC program and marksmanship team will continue to serve as an example of excellence on campus.