Editorial: Awaiting Admissions

Anna Winslow, Editor-in-Chief

The applications have been submitted, the forms filled out, and now all there is left to do is wait. For many seniors, applying to college is a stressful and hectic time. But what is worse is the wait; waiting to be accepted or rejected.
Some students may have already been accepted to their dream schools. Many reputable schools like the University of Central Florida, Florida Gulf Coast University, and the University of South Florida have already sent out acceptance letters. But for those who applied elsewhere, the story is a little different.
As Florida residents, the classic dream schools include the University of Florida and Florida State University. Admissions are released in mid February and the wait is agonizing. Several of state colleges and universities have later decision dates as well.
Although it is easy as seniors to want to immediately make the leap to college, we must address one thing: High school is a fleeting time in one’s life. We should not rush it. So rather than viewing senior year as a wait to get to college, view it as the final step in a journey. There is no other time in your life quite like senior year of high school, and it should be appreciated for what it is.
Once admissions are released, the weight of waiting will be lifted off our shoulders. But until then, sit back and enjoy the ride. Until you have to choose a school…but that’s a whole other story.