No, you don’t have to go to college

Lizbeth Acevedo, Artist

College is a goal that all students from the age of five have been conditioned to reach. Students work hard academically and sometimes athletically to be accepted to colleges on scholarships. We are destined to continue to go to school so we can become something right? Well what they don’t tell you is that there is not one clear highway to success.
RightSkill, a job preparation company, offers alternatives to attending a college or university. RightSkill helps individuals develop in-demand skills and then facilitates job interviews with local employers who are hiring. It’s like school but a little more direct. Plus, those involved receive guidance when searching for a job, unlike many college graduates. RightSkill also has a much lower cost than the average College Tuition.
Connections can help you progress in certain fields but not everyone has the ability or chance to create such relations. However, apprenticeships are available. The US Department of Labor (DoL.Gov) updates their website weekly with new apprenticeships ranging from nursing to mechanics. Through an apprenticeship, you can develop your skills while getting paid regularly. If you decide at some point that you would like to finish a degree, many employers will cover the fee for an associate’s or bachelor’s degree at the school of your choice.
Many students feel pressure to know exactly what they want to do in life. If you aren’t sure what field you want to pursue a career in, don’t panic. A gap year might be the answer to your problem. A gap year is a period, typically taken between high school and college, used to deepen practical, professional, and personal feelings. Many high school graduates take a gap year to work before deciding whether higher education is meant for them or not.
Or you might decide to take that Economics class Senior year seriously and start your own business after High School. These days it’s easy to start a business with a computer and an idea.
Freelance work is also a popular alternative. It provides a flexible schedule, commissioned pay, and more advertising than usual businesses. Jobs that are freelance include: Web Design, Illustrationer, Application Creator and Animators. Building your resumes in specific fields can also open the opportunity of joining large-scale companies.
All in all, your life is yours. Take your time and if you’re motivated enough to take the road less traveled, you can still end up doing great things.