Florida’s fall to failure

2015 is the year! 2016 is the year! Is 2017 the year? These were the thoughts running through Florida sports fans’ heads as each season came to a close with the outcome of no championship and no wins. It seems as though Florida professional sports teams are slowly declining in their rank and merit compared to the rest of the country. What makes Florida the destination for some of the most appalling sports organizations?
First up to bat are the Miami Marlins and the Tampa Bay Rays. Both teams couldn’t manage to win half the games they played this season. Both teams also placed last in their league for fan attendance which resulted in a lower annual salary. This lack of money can cause the rapid loss of baseball stars. Comparing across the league, the Dodgers led the MLB with an average of 40,035 fans per game, but coming in last place was the Marlins with 24,750 and the Rays with 22,828 fans per game.
. On top of having a poor attendance rate, there have been game-changing decisions these two teams have made that have caused public debate in Florida. Poor decisions by the Miami Marlins in recent years have led to one of the biggest declines to their franchise ever. An example of this was revealed when the Marlins decided to trade National League MVP, Giancarlo Stanton.
Stanton was recently traded to the New York Yankees, where he will be accompanied by super-sluggers, Aaron Judge and Gary Sanchez. Along with Stanton, second-baseman Dee Gordon was also traded to the Seattle Mariners, and the Marlins and St. Louis Cardinals are discussing trade options over outfielder, Marcel Ozuna.
“I understand the Stanton trade because we can gain about three or four players for only him, but giving away the base of your team doesn’t seem like a smart thing to do,” says Sebastian Santiago, sophomore.
On a different, yet equally terrible note, the Tampa Bay Rays have only made four playoff appearances in the last 10 years, and while this may not seem completely pathetic, when you take into consideration their competition, it is not a very great achievement.
Coming off of the diamond and onto the field. While the leap from baseball to football may seem like a long jump, you’d be mistaken. Here in Florida, with football teams as bad as ours, it’s a wonder football players don’t transfer to baseball. Starting off the season, the buzz for the Miami Dolphins was high when they were predicted to be playoff bound, but when starting quarterback Ryan Tannehill went down with an injury, so did their future.
“I believe we can be a great team in the years to come, but we are in a deep struggle at the moment on both sides of the game,” says Brianna Anderson, junior. “Our offense is no longer productive and it has come to the point where I am no longer excited to watch them anymore.”
The Dolphins power ranking is a whopping twenty-eight out of thirty-two, and with our offense growing worse over the years, it’s not looking good for the future of this team. The average yards per play is only 4.2 yards and the amount of touchdowns earned from last year had dropped by almost half. In the 2016 season, the Dolphins scored forty-five touchdown, averaging three per game. This year, we only have twenty, averaging a little over one per game.
Just when you thought our defense might be able to save the day, they ranked twenty-six in amount of rush yards given up per game with one hundred and seventeen. They also failed to impress by allowing about five yards per run. The defensive leaders of Ndamukong Suh and Cameron Wake cannot be the only two efficient players on the line.
Sticking with the Miami trend is the professional basketball team, Miami Heat. Although they won back-to-back championships in 2011 and 2012, they have yet to impress since then. They have fared better than the teams mentioned above, but are on the steady decline as they are losing more and more stars each year.
This trend started with the loss of future legend, Lebron James in 2014. Since then, this 2017 season began with the shocking decision for 12-time all star Dwyane Wade to leave the Heat and join Cleveland Cavaliers with James. In October’s game against Minnesota, the Heat gave up a record high amount of steals with twenty-four. Maybe this is the root of the problem with the Heat. The amount of turnovers given up is superior over the amount of points the Heat score.
During this game, five year player Dion Waiters had the game of his life with thirty-three points and three steals. Although the Heat are playing high scoring games with their opposition, the amount of turnovers per game are adding up pretty quickly.
Another possible issue with the Heat is their shooting percentage, averaging twenty second in the league. Whatever the problem is, the season is only just starting, so we hope they will improve as the months go on.
In the end, although we may not have the best sports teams in the league, we remain proud to support the players who worked hard to achieve their lifelong dream. It takes determination, effort, and dedication to have a shot at becoming the best of the best, so we should show respect to those who stay loyal and continue to represent Florida.