Drones are beneficial to society

Roderick McKenzie, Staff Writer

Drones (or UAVs for Unmanned Aerial Vehicle) have come a very long way since their initial creation from being used as attack UAVs in 2000, to saving lives, hunting criminals, and planting trees. Drones are constantly evolving to do essential tasks, doing it just as well or more efficiently as us. While few people can see drones as a potential threat to our society, I see them improving as we go along in life.
Drones were available for the public since 2006 and grew in popularity in 2015. At the time, they were mostly used the simple hobby of flying them around in the sky. However, that changed in 2015 when they grew in popularity; over one million drones were sold that year. It was due to the new focus on aerial photography by drones. These drones could capture high-definition pictures and videos of different locations and events from different heights that would sometimes be impossible for a regular photographer to do.Over time, the sales continued to increase with the sales for 2017 predicted to be about 1.3 billion dollars in sales.
On January 18, 2018 lifeguards were testing out Little Ripper, a drone designed for saving swimmers, at a beach in New South Wales, Australia, when they were alerted that two swimmers were trapped in a 3 metre swell. The drone was sent out to their location and dropped them a rescue tube. The swimmers grabbed on to it and managed to swim back to shore unharmed. That was the world’s first drone rescue and it only improves from there.
Drones have been recently used to hunt down suspects with cameras and heat sensors for the police. They are also used to survey the area around a certain location in search of crimes or to watch over and defend the area. This was primarily shown at the Winter Olympics where security drones hunt down other drones that could possibly cause trouble. They have also been used to record research information on wildlife, create maps of the ocean, carry the torch in the Winter Olympics, and deliver supply items to victims of catastrophic events.

Overall, I truly believe that drones will help improve the future of mankind over their development. They will be able to do a lot of jobs for people so that they will have more time for their own benefit. Researchers can spend more time trying to find out how to easily solve the world’s many problems while drones do some field work investigating these conditions. Rescuers can send out drones to see where people are so they can be saved.
If drones continue to grow as they are now (both with popularity and technically), I believe it will lead us to a better future where drones will help us some or most of the hard labor while we continue improving ourselves.