Students of South: Michael Levanti

Christina Shaw, Staff Writer

Band Captain, Michael Levanti is proof that if you work hard enough, the world will always have something to offer you. Since his freshman year, Levanti has worked not only to support his music career, but to build himself from the ground up.
“I’ve had to work very hard, my middle school career really solidified that music was what I wanted as a career,” Levanti said. “When it came to high school I ended up spending 95% of my energy, money, time, and effort in doing what I’m good at, which is music.”
This year, Levanti has accomplished many great achievements, including his auditions for the All State Honor Band, at which he only came two spots from being accepted. Levanti then auditioned for the All County Honor Band were he was accepted as the eighth tuba player in their ensemble, before he was accepted into the Tri-State Honor Band at Florida State University.
“I’m very proud of all the things he’s accomplished this year, making it into DCI, and numerous honor bands,” said Daniel Evans, Band Director.
Levanti has also earned a spot in the Festival of Winds Honor Band at the University of South Florida, and the Frost Honor Band at the University of Miami.
But his accomplishments didn’t come without hard work and sacrifice.
“I would get all my homework done, I’d eat, and then just work until 9, then I would practice until I went to bed everyday,” Levanti said. “On the weekends I would rehearse every day, for 12-13 hours, which is very mentally straining.”
He also had to pay up to
$4,000 to perform in some ensembles, which required him to get multiple jobs, such as his mothers landscaping business and plant nursery. Levanti is currently in a organization called Stryke Wynds, an independent indoor marching band that plays during the winter time. Levanti has recently been contracted with the world class Bluecoats Drum and Bugle Corps, that performs with an elite 150 member cast and tours the country during the summer.

His girlfriend, Katherine Diaz, Color Guard Captain, who also participates in the Stryke Wynds said “He’s one of our best, musically he gets things. Watching him play you see the passion, and it is beautiful and amazing to see the outcome of all his work.”
“He has been the person I can rely on for rehearsal settings when I’m not around to be able to help certain groups,’ and ‘He took upon the responsibility of executing the football show for last season. Anytime he had questions he’d ask me before taking any action with the show. Overall I am very proud of him,” said Evans.
Levanti is still in a majority of ensembles, and continues to juggle a lifestyle of school, work, family, and friends. But he still encourages everyone to work hard for their dreams, even if it means making some sacrifices.