First chance South, Last Chance U

Jared Elliot, Business Manager

Netflix launched its first original sports documentary series this summer and college football fans were soon binge-watching all six episodes of Last Chance U, while non-sports fans may have skipped over the program, not realizing it had a South Plantation connection.

Last Chance U focuses on East Mississippi Community College, a junior college (JUCO) where many athletes often transfer for a short time to either get themselves academically ready, or just gain enough exposure to get recruited at the next level. For many this is their their last chance for a college football career.

The show features South Plantation alum, John Franklin III, who was the quarterback at EMCU as it attempted to win its third straight National Junior College championship in 2015. Franklin had spent two years as a member of Florida State’s scout team, but was itching for that lead quarterback position, and hoped a stint at EMCU would get him noticed. “When it first came on I wasn’t surprised by the film because I knew what was going to be shown; I feel they didn’t capture how John really is, but I was happy with the end results”, said Kealer Franklin, Office Manager at South Plantation and Franklin’s mother.

John Franklin, former student at South Plantation, shines in the new Netflix original series.

Many who know Franklin agree that the portrayal of him was less than accurate, however, the series still offers an interesting look at the JUCO pipeline. Last Chance U gave viewers insight into the program at EMCU, while providing athletes with national exposure. “I feel that Last Chance U was great for my son, it was an opportunity he walked in on and this gave not just him, but the whole school, exposure to the general public. He enjoyed the experience and the positive things presented from it”, said Mrs. Franklin. Overall, the series is compelling to watch, and even offers Paladins a glimpse of their school as Franklin returned home to sign his letter of intent to play for Auburn this season, proving that last chances often work out.