‘Twas the night before homecoming

Bayleigh Pearson, Podcast Editor

‘Twas the night before Homecoming and all throughout South, the students were preparing for an epic week, no doubt. The HOCO posters were hung in the hallways with care, in hopes that a King and Queen would soon reign there.

But as the week began, a hurricane brewed. It seemed to be headed for Broward… how rude!

Homecoming week was cut short by the menacing Hurricane Matthew, a category 4 storm which was predicted to impact Broward County, but eventually bypassed most of South Florida. The two days of HOCO week activities that actually took place, however, were enjoyed by all as students dressed up for Senior Nerd Day, Disney Character day, and Underclassmen Color Wars.

img_4583

The highly anticipated Senior Nerd Day was definitely one for the books. The Nerd Herd has been traditional at South for many years and only seems to get more nerdy and thunderous with each graduating class. Early that morning, the seniors gathered in the student parking lot in high spirits as they readied themselves for the “Nerd Run,” which would take them throughout the main building and end near the magnet car loop, stopping briefly at the outdoor patio to toss Pokemon cards around while loudly chanting “Seniors!” and “2017!”

“It was scary because there were so many people running, but also super memorable and fun,” recalled Nina Thony, senior. The fun continued during lunch with rounds of juice pong and musical chairs, with a captive audience of underclassmen, who were no doubt taking notes for their own future turn at nerdiness.

img_4584

Disney Character Day was filled with creative costumes, festivities during lunch and even a Homecoming proposal. Izabela Cianci, senior, was asked to homecoming by her boyfriend, Theo Ryer, in a very Disney-inspired way. The two dressed as Peter Pan and Tinker Bell, so it was only appropriate that Reyer asked her to HOCO with a sign that read “Journey with me to Neverland.”

“I pulled into my parking spot and he was standing there waiting for me. It was one of the cutest things ever,” said Cianci.

img_6506

Due to the storm, the homecoming dance was rescheduled for November 8th. SGA worked tirelessly to redo HOCO themes, answer questions that arose due to the confusion of rescheduling, and prepare for the night of the dance.

Homecoming Part Two activities included a Decades Day, which was a delightful blast from the past as everything from 60’s Greasers to 80’s Jazzercizers descended upon the school.

img_5200

Court winners were announced during the homecoming pep rally the week before the dance, and students erupted with shouts of joy as senior, Robert “Dr. Bob” Woodruff was named Homecoming King.

Dr. Bob, the voice of South Plantation’s daily announcements, happens to be both blind and autistic, yet continues to demonstrate every day what it means to live a genuinely positive life. “He epitomizes everything it means to be homecoming king,” said Christine Henschel, principal.

The much-anticipated dance finally took place at the Bonaventure Spa and Resort on November 10th, coming off without a hitch. Students gathered to snap pictures of their fabulous “HOCO” attire before dancing the night a way in a room decorated by SGA. Homecoming 2016 survived the threat of Hurricane Matthew and ended up doubling everyone’s fun with two weeks of festivities.