Got ink?

Tattoos & Employment

Megan Leiter, Sports Editor

The way tattoos are viewed around the world varies between cultures and fashions. Some countries have traditions such as specific markings on their arms and legs like New Zealand and Polynesia. Tattoos are not just body modifications affecting your physical features. They are emotional pieces of art that is significant to the person—whether it is the name of a loved one, or a meaningful design. They can even be random or insignificant—whatever the owner decides. Subsequently, it is unsettling to know that they are negatively affecting job opportunities. To this day, tattoos may carry an unfavorable connotation from some employers.

A job is based on responsibility, work ethic, and obeying authority. How does that have anything to do with ink on someone’s skin?

The media and the film industry like to portray people with tattoos as delinquents or corrupt, which serves as the main reason for the inability to obtain careers. When a boss sees someone with tattoos asking for a job, they may not see the whole person; just their skin. The employer’s mind could flash to the images on a TV screen and completely shut out any new attitude. Ink is not meant as a label for these traits; instead it is a way for people to express themselves and voice their individuality.

However, there are also many types of media accepting tattoos as well. Some movies and TV shows cast people specifically with tattoos to play roles. They are not always meant to represent a certain group of people; for example, Johnny Depp in Pirates of the Carribean and Stephen Amell in Arrow.

Some people believe that there are some occupations where tattoos should be covered up such as a lawyer or someone involved in government. This is because the tattoo could be construed as distracting or unprofessional. This does not mean a person in that position should not have tattoos.

Some models like Rick Genets, or most commonly known as “Zombie Boy,” are praised for their tattoos. Others are Stephen James and Ruby Rose. They display beautiful art on their bodies that express their personality and beliefs. Tattoos help a person stand out from the crowd and encourage uniqueness.

It angers me to know that some people cannot achieve their goals because of their will to be different. Instead of employers directing attention to the ink on some ones skin, they should focus on their work ethic and morality.

Individuality should be praised and welcomed.