Change your life, expand your horizons

Nicole King, Staff Writer

Travel changed my life.

This summer, I had the opportunity to travel to two different countries and the experience was incredible. I was exposed to new culture, new foods, new music, and new scenery. My appreciation for life has been expounded, as I have seen that there is so much beauty in this world, and so much to explore, it’s incredible! I realized that there are so many people who do not truly know the beauty of this world.
During my trip to Brazil I was a true tourist. I visited Christ the Redeemer, relaxed on Copacabana beach, and even bought a wrap from one of the vendors.

I ate at every bakery that I saw, and tried a new dish at every restaurant.

All during this time I found myself immersed with Portuguese. I found myself trying to understand it, and wanting to be able to speak it. I was amazed by the exuberance of the natives.

During the Judo Olympic match, the Brazilians would all break out into a chant whenever any of their representatives came out. The excitement and happiness was fascinating.

This summer, I also traveled to Spain with about 40 other students from South Plantation. The trip was amazing.

We visited exquisitely beautiful churches, an art gallery full of murals and the most realistic looking paintings, branched off in groups and toured the city on our own where we got to mingle with the natives and watch street performers. We also tried tons of new foods, from bread covered in powdered sugar to a Spanish version of McDonald’s.

I went with some of my closest friends, Janina and Chayla, and ended up forming even tighter bonds as we spent nine days exploring another country.
I traveled to the British Overseas Territory of Gibraltar, where we were exposed to a whole other culture, British accents and ate fish and chips. While in Gibraltar, I even got to see and take pictures with monkeys. My roommates and I would stay up until two A.M. every morning just talking about our day.

Spain even had a completely different Netflix, which did not really help when I tried to watch the new season of Orange is the New Black.

Overall, my travels have exposed me to different languages and cultures that I yearn to learn more about.
What I have learned from all this is to take risks, try new things, and appreciate new cultures. My travels have also left me with a desperate need to explore the rest of this beautiful Earth. I intend to continue my travels around the world for as long as I can. By expanding my exposure to other cultures, I am able to expand upon the different parts of myself.