Students of South: Dimithry Victor

Anna Winslow, Features Editor

Many people have dreams of being actors, artists, or musicians, but few have the bravery to follow those dreams head on. Dimithry Victor is pursuing his dreams of becoming an artist without any hesitation.

“I want to inspire others and change lives through art.” Said Dimithry, junior.

Victor first began drawing at the age of four, when his mother gave him paper and a pencil to keep him entertained during church. Inspired by cartoons, Dimithry wanted to create characters similar to those in Fairly Odd Parents and Danny Phantom. From there, Dimithry’s pass time became a passion.

Over time, his work evolved as his interests changed from cartoons, to comic books, and eventually to the diverse forms of art he creates today.  Inspired by artists like Jean Michel Basquiat, Pablo Picasso, Andy Warhol, and David Choe, Dimithry has recently been experimenting with different mediums such as charcoal, pen, and watercolor. A large portion of his work now consists of detailed faces and bodies that portray a wide range of emotions as well as abstract cartoons with exaggerated features.

“Sometimes I make my art into a story, with each piece relating to the last somehow.”  Said Victor.

To publicize his work, Dimithry began posting on social media and created his own website to showcase his talents. He began to sell his sketches, and started making a profit from his passion. Dimithry has also sent his pieces to numerous blogs, magazines, and publications. Recently he has had his work featured in The Literary Nest, Dirty Chai Magazine, and Bohemianizm. Some of his drawings were also displayed at the W.I.L.D Exhibition in Orange County, California.

“Getting my work published gives me the best feeling I’ve ever felt,” said Dimithry. “It feels like I’m one step closer to my goals and I’m on top of the world.”

Although he hasn’t made any official plans, Dimithry is also interested in fashion design and hopes to eventually start a clothing line.

“I plan on making art until I’m successful enough and then branching out into other things, but right now I’m just doing what I want.”

Dimithry’s passion and motivation to be successful is inspirational in itself. Although making a name for one’s self in the art industry is difficult, Dimithry hopes that his dedication will pay off. Check out Dimithry’s work on his instagram, @dimithryvictor.