It’s a new ”Don” for the U.S.

Anna Winslow, Features Editor

Following months of campaigning, debating, and public appearances, Donald Trump was inaugurated as the 45th president of the United States on

January 20, 2017. Wearing his signature red tie, Trump took the oath of office surrounded by his family and numerous government officials.
“Today, we are not merely transferring power from one administration to another or from one party to another,” said President Trump. “But we are transferring power from Washington, D.C., and giving it back to you, the people.”

Trump’s path to the presidency was one of the most controversial in U.S history. Numerous scandals and past conflicts were exposed through media outlets on the part of both candidates who vigorously fought for the oval office.

“I’ve never seen so much blatant lying or distortion of facts in an election before,” said Amy Holder, AP U.S History teacher. “It’s to the point where the average American citizen can’t keep up with what is going on.”

Since his inauguration, President Trump has signed several executive orders to fulfill the promises he made throughout his campaign. The executive orders have concerned a broad range of issues, including business regulations and the construction of oil pipelines such as the Keystone XL and Dakota Access. However, none of President Trump’s actions have had as much backlash as his proposed travel ban.

“I feel that the immigration ban is just completely unnecessary. There is no reason to isolate an entire group of people just because a few extremist acts that were committed by a very small group,” said senior, Shayan Jebelli. “At the end of the day we are all humans and we should all be treated equally, [regardless of] our religion or skin color. I think that this ban is just a step back for the progression of the equality in the United States.”

The travel ban includes the suspension of the U.S Refugee Program for 120 days, an indefinite ban on Syrian refugees, a ban on anyone entering the country from seven Muslim-majority countries, and a cap of 50,000 refugees. The president believes the ban will make America safer, however, many citizens have expressed opposition to it with protests spanning around the world.

“It’s actually been cool to see a lot of people come together to protest,” said Katherine Albert, junior. “Seeing footage of the Women’s March and other protests on the news just shows that we as a society won’t be subjected to unfair laws.”

The ban has been halted after federal judges around the country blocked it. However, President Trump is not willing to let it go, claiming that he will “see you in court.”

President Trump’s cabinet has also been a controversial issue as some of his nominations have faced opposition from the senate and general public. His pick for secretary of education, Betsy DeVos, was recently confirmed by a thin margin of one vote following resistance from democrats who argued that DeVos’s lack of experience and support for charter schools and voucher systems disqualified her for the position.

“Betsy DeVos’s association with charter schools and voucher systems seems to be a conflict of interest,” said Holder. “I can’t imagine how she would be able to lead so many public schools. ”

Another one of the president’s cabinet members, Michael Flynn, the former national security adviser, resigned on February 13 following accusations that he had discussed revising sanctions with Russian Ambassador, Sergey Kislyak, that were originally imposed by Barack Obama.

Vice President Pence denied these accusations on national television before Flynn admitted that he had given both the president and vice president “incomplete information.”

President Trump’s team has worked to smooth out these recent scandals, with personnel like Kellyanne Conway and Sean Spicer holding interviews and press conferences to defend and explain the president’s actions.

“Seeing Trump’s people try to justify all the chaos is actually really funny,” said Rachel Horowitz, junior. “At least Saturday Night Live has some new material to work with.”

Although the past month has been full of ups and downs, it is clear that the president is intent on achieving his goals, even if they face resistance.