Gays in the media

Nicole King, Staff Writer

The prevalence and portrayal of gay char- actors in television has come a long way. The stereotypical stigma of gay relationships and how gay characters are supposed to look and act is slowly dissipating. The growing number has marked an unparalleled acceptance and exposure.

Shameless, a popular show on Showtime, features “Gallavich” a relationship between Ian Gallagher and Mickey Milkovich. Straying from stereotypical portrayals of gay men, that being that gay men are only emanate and flamboyant, Ian and Mickey are both rough, physical, Southside guys.

Chronicling their relationship, Mickey struggles to come to terms with his sexuality; allowing people to realize that not every gay person will t your preconceived idea of how a gay person is supposed to look like or act.

Grey’s Anatomy is on the other end of the spectrum, featuring many lesbian relationships, one prominent one being Callie Torres and Arizona Robbins, named “Calzona,” whose relationship faces a variety of monumental steps going from dating, to marriage, to having a child, to divorce.

This depiction of not only a gay relation- ship, but a gay family structure has opened up the doors of acceptance to the reality that the only difference between being gay and being straight is who you choose to love. No matter what gender, marriage problems still exists, from the same fears and excitements of dating, to the work that goes into raising a family.

Recently, one of the leads in the TV show Supergirl, Alex Danvers, came out as gay. “The way she discovered she was gay was an excellent portrayal of how scared people are in real life of coming out, so many hidden girls and boys have found their voice in the actions of fictional and gay characters,” said Shante Lewis, junior.

The portrayal of gay characters in TV shows has allowed millennials to eliminate biases held by past generations on what is viewed as “normal.” “I feel like it has helped at least a little bit to normalize homosexuality for people who do not come in contact with it often. It’s important for people to see and identify with characters that are like them, and it can make all the difference for marginalized people who may want to start [in show business] too,” said Chayla Cherry, junior.

All relationships are the same: Love is love